Last updated August 5th 2014
Every now and again, usually around this time of the year, we get a little reminder that we live in the Middle East – and our Mum’s words reverberate around our ears that we are crazy for moving out here. Here are a few little tips on how to survive the sirens:
* Keep calm!
* Familiarise yourself with your closest shelter. For public shelters check this link – http://batchgeo.com/map/885f54b7ed49dcd99167472ed5300333
* If you don’t have a shelter, head to the stairwell. If you are out and about and there are no shelters or stairwells nearby, lie down and cover your head with your hands
* If you are on the top floor, move down a couple of floors
* Please can you not post the location of rockets in the group
* A big thanks to the IDF who are out there protecting us – you guys rock!
* For more tips on how to behave in a state of emergency check out the IDFs Home Front Command Unit website – http://www.oref.org.il/894-en/Pakar.aspx or have a chat with your friendly neighbour!
… And on with our lives! Another action packed week of fun events in Tel Aviv, including two HUGE parties on Saturday – E-Boded on Saturday afternoon, and Valium’s one year anniversary party on Saturday night!
Don’t forget, next Wednesday is another awesome event from Secret Tel Aviv – this time an acting workshop and theatre trip with Tziporela Worldwide. There are only a few tickets left so don’t wait, get your tickets today – http://bit.ly/1nd32xx
* World Cup Fever! Tonight’s semi-final is between Argentina and the Netherlands – watch with the Argentineans at Clara https://www.facebook.com/events/524943010939809/ (for a table email firstname.lastname@example.org (mailto:email@example.com) ); watch with the crazy Dutch at their home ground in the Kibbutz in the Namal https://www.facebook.com/events/1503033229925928/
* Starting tonight until Saturday, The Stage English drama club perform their ‘A One Act Festival’ show, consisting of 6 comedic plays by well known playwrights crammed into one fun evening! – https://www.facebook.com/events/254243624765413/
* Are you a hi-tech geek? Do you love Google? Campus TLV is hosting 35 Google Products Managers – this is your chance to ask them all of your burning questions – http://www.eventbrite.com/e/campus-tlv-hosting-35-google-products-managers-tickets-12151757233
* Looking for a funk and soul night? Check out DJ Bright at the Kayma Bar in Florentine – https://www.facebook.com/events/480362495397500/
* The International Opera Summer Program continues this week, with workshops from some top Israeli and International performers and directors – for a full schedule click here – http://www.eventim.co.il/obj/media/IL-eventim/pdf/iw/opera-program1.pdf – for tickets click here – http://bit.ly/operaclasstlv
* Are you tempted to learn how to swing dance? Holy Lindy Land has a free dance class tonight – ‘Swing Starter’ will get you dancing Swing in no time – https://www.facebook.com/events/707388919327363/
* BPM College Movie night pays homage to Neil Young with movies and a live DJ – https://www.facebook.com/events/262244650645250/ (to get tickets to his show in Israel next Thursday 17th July click here – http://bit.ly/neilyoungtlv)
* New art space, new exhibition – Art Space TLV opens, with an exhibition by the graduates from the Haifa University Masters of Fine Art – https://www.facebook.com/events/615139765260105/
* Hamafteach are hosting their hip-hop festival, tickets are still available for their 10pm performance – https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hamafteah/423752681090611
* Rock on! Hard rock at the Tachlas bar by Dirk Diggler – https://www.facebook.com/events/314343432063628/
* Looking for some fashion ideas? Check out the fashion sale at the Little Prince – https://www.facebook.com/events/605417662909801/
* Are you looking to pick up some old vinyl records? Pashpashook are holding a record fair on Herzl – https://www.facebook.com/events/313136505502788/
* Join hundreds of Olim and Israelis this Friday and every Friday night at the Tel Aviv International Synagogue for their acclaimed Carlebach Kabbalat Shabbat – https://www.facebook.com/events/1455891187992637/
* The Eboded crew are back with another awesome daytime party – to spice things up the location won’t be announced until Thursday – https://www.facebook.com/events/261028607435047/
* What better way to protest against Gideon Saar’s proposed closing of shops on Shabbat – than to set up a fair outside his house on Saturday afternoon – https://www.facebook.com/events/1470960186480830/
* Tel Aviv’s mega-club Valium is one year old today! To celebrate they have special DJ Guest DJ Jidax (Tomorrowland) – https://www.facebook.com/events/442366132571696/ (book your VIP table through Secret Tel Aviv and we’ll get you a 5% discount off your bill – email firstname.lastname@example.org (mailto:email@example.com) )
* Are you a fan of Rhythm and Blues Dance music? Pasaz are hosting a night of American & Caribbean music from the 40’s, 50’s and 60’s – https://www.facebook.com/events/320855141403432/
Rest of the Week:
* Sunday – The Garin Tzabar Programme (for Lone Soldiers) hosts former Israeli Ambassador to America, Michael Oren, for a talk about US Israel relations – free entry and drink for Garin Tzabar alumni – https://www.facebook.com/events/648227185254494/
* Sunday – World Cup Fever! THE FINAL – shown in pretty much every bar in Tel Aviv!
* Monday – Oooh La La… it’s Bastille Day, and to celebrate the French Institute is hosting a night of music and ‘appiness – https://www.facebook.com/events/896659407015309/
* Monday – Teder are hosting their second ‘Posterize’ – lots of posters, pay whatever you want – https://www.facebook.com/events/1423775247910269/
* Tuesday – the ‘Tel Aviv Arts Council’ are screening ‘Turn Left at the End of the World’ – followed by Q&A with the writer and director Avi Nesher – https://www.facebook.com/events/673724056041359/
* Wednesday – the week’s not-to-miss event! Secret Tel Aviv have teamed up with Tziporela for a unique acting workshop, followed by their awesome show – tickets are going fast – http://bit.ly/1nd32xx
Secret Tel Aviv Tickets:
* Neil Young’s Alchemy Tour is coming to Israel on 17th July at Gnei Yehoshua – tickets start at 400 NIS – http://bit.ly/neilyoungtlv
* The International Opera Summer Program has a session on Broadway Musicals – the Sound of Music, West Side Story, Phantom of the Opera and many more – 23rd and 24th July, tickets 115 NIS – for 23rd July http://bit.ly/broadwaytlv1, for 24th July http://bit.ly/broadwaytlv2
* Israeli singer Riff Cohen, of A Paris fame, performs at Levontin 7 on the 31st July – tickets are 65NIS – http://bit.ly/riffcohentlv
* The Cirque de Soleil are performing Quidam at the Nokia Arena on 6th August to 21st August, tickets start at 235 NIS – http://bit.ly/cirquetlv
* Isle of Dreams Music Festival – 7-9 August at the Kinneret – top lineup including Avicii, Afrojack, Steve Aoki, Paul Oakenfeld, Pete Tong and lots lots more! There are three tiers of tickets: Regular (695 NIS) – http://bit.ly/Tr3AUz ; VIP (1,005 NIS) – http://bit.ly/isleofdreams2; VVIP (1,405 NIS) – http://bit.ly/isleofdreams3
* Lana Del Rey is playing at Gnei HaTaroucha on 20th August – 405 NIS – http://bit.ly/lanadelreytlv
* TONY BENNETT performs in Tel Aviv on 14th September – tickets start at 224 NIS – http://bit.ly/tonybennetttlv
* As the summer heats up and the nightlife takes off, we can now offer you tables at Tel Aviv’s two top clubs – CLARA and VALIUM… plus at VALIUM we can offer you 5% off your bill if you take a table – for more info email firstname.lastname@example.org (mailto:email@example.com) .
* Looking to buy or sell an apartment in Tel Aviv – we can help! Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org (mailto:email@example.com) with your name, contact details, and requirements, and we will get in touch!
* Looking for accommodation when you visit Israel? Check out Secret Tel Aviv Sublets – we have over 1,000 vacation rental apartments in Tel Aviv at prices lower than AirBnB. If you can’t find what you’re looking for, use the ‘Name your Own Price’ Function and landlords will bid for your business – http://sublets.secrettelaviv.com
* To subscribe to the weekly newsletter simply complete this form (http://eepurl.com/Mrp11) or send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
* Thanks to Tel Aviv Urban Photographs for the awesome cover photo – https://www.facebook.com/TelAvivUrbanPhotographs
* Check out the Facebook group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/secrettelaviv/