Last updated July 23rd 2015
Shalom Tel Aviv! As the weather heats up, so do the events. Highlights this week include The Stage’s Grand Slam Finale tonight, a Tokyo Fashion fair on Thursday, three birthday parties, three huge international concerts… and Tisha B’Av on Saturday night/ Sunday day. Tisha B’Av is not a holiday day (work as usual unfortunately), tzom kal to all those fasting.
We also have two cool new blogs in this week:
*** SIGN UP TO OUR WEEKLY NEWSLETTER HERE ***
– The Stage Grand Slam Finale – after six months of Slams, the final is upon us… Check out Israel’s top English-language slammers battle it out for the honours – and the cash prize @ Kuli Alma. 25 NIS.
– Bobby McFerrin and Chick Corea (Wednesday to Friday) – for everyone who has tickets to one of these four concerts, have an amazing time – for everyone else – “Don’t Worry, Be Happy”.
– Funkenstein @ Barby – if chilled funky music is more your thing, check out the eight-man Funkenstein + special guests. 80 NIS.
– Red Axes + The Crotches @ Radio EPGB – two cool Israeli bands performing in the very cool Radio EPGB.
– ‘Ramping Up Growth by Ramping Up Development’ – Hi-tech meetup with cool presenters @ Kiriat Atidim, Ramat Hachayal.
– Female Standup Night (in Hebrew) @ Ozen Bar – some of Israel’s top female comics have a laugh about feminism. 35 NIS.
– Poetry Slam (in Hebrew) @ The Zone – poems, music, alcohol, and live drum-dancing. 30 NIS.
– Tokyo TLV Fashion Day – calling all Fashionistas – take part in this Japanese fashion montage! March through the streets in your best Harajuku outfit. Then, check out our city’s Tokyo fair @ The Dizengoff Center!
– Pop-up Architecture Exhibition – Learn about how Tel Aviv’s buildings developed in the 80s and 90s @ The New White City Heritage Center.
– Masquerade @ Valium – top Internationals’ promoter Joy Records is putting on a huge night at Valium. Come ready to dance the night away with the most mysterious crowd in Tel Aviv! DJ Suisss will be on the decks. 35 NIS pre-sale.
– PeleParty – Bring an instrument, and join this hippy love-in at the beautiful Pele Community Center. 50 NIS includes food and drinks.
– Ninja Tune at Pasaz – Pasaz hosts another large Thursday – this week Les Acrobats launch their latest tunes.
– DJ Tennis and Bob Moses @ The Block – Still got energy?! Dance the night away to this epic lineup!
– Bar Kaymar’s Third Birthday Party – come and celebrate the magic that is Bar Kaymar with a full day of live music. If you’ve not heard of Bar Kaymar you should check it out – it’s an amazing sustainable, ecological, vegan community in South Tel Aviv.
– Cafe Shapira Folk Concert – also in South Tel Aviv (the cool part of town), spend the day relaxing to chilled, acoustic folk music.
– Holot Refugee Theatre Group – this promises to be a very special performance – Israelis and refugees come together for a play exploring the social problems for asylum seekers in Israel @ The Tmuna Theater.
– Crossfit Kip for a Cure – CrossFit Tel Aviv’s 2nd Annual Kip For a Cure WOD, to raise awareness and funds for research for ALS.
– Pre-Tisha B’Av Meat Feast @ TAIS – fill your tummies before Sunday’s fast with a fully catered meat meal – 75 NIS. Followed by a special Tish a B’Av ceremony on Frishman Beach.
– Tisha B’Av Ceremony @ The Beit Ariela Library – a special ceremony with prayers, songs, and discussions.
– Sunday – ‘Our Vinyl Weighs a Ton’ Screening @ Kuli Alma – feature length doc about avant-garde Los Angelese-based record label Stones Throw Records. Followed by Q&A with the director.
– Sunday to Saturday 1/8 – Levontin Sheva’s Ninth Birthday Party Week – celebrate one of Tel Aviv’s most important music venue’s birthday with a week of special concerts.
– Sunday – Creative Food Photography Lecture (in Hebrew) – a talk by one of Israel’s leading food photographers Dan Lev. Free @ Ehrlich Photography Center.
– Sunday – ‘Little Black Dress’ – English on Stage returns with a musical celebration of women and fashion @ Habima. 100 NIS.
– Monday – Tel Aveat’s First Birthday Party @ Bustan – We love this website! Join Natalie and the Tel Aveat crew for the first birthday party… they promise to get you drunk if you attend!
– Monday – Chris Brown Concert @ Live Park Rishon – whatever you think about him, he does make some cool music!
– Monday – Comedy Night in English @ The Patio – ‘Funny Monday’ is your best way to feel Israel if you are an OLE or tourist or an Israeli that wants have good time – a really funny English Standup Show!
– Tuesday – Gilberto Gil & Caetano Veloso in Tel Aviv – two Brazilian musical legends perform some of their greatest hits.
– Tuesday – Live Music @ Shuk HaPishpishim – this week’s live performance is by the Osnat Harel Trio. Plus all the shops are open late. Free entry.
– Tuesday – Top Poetry Slam (Hebrew) @ Bascula – this week’s third slam! Five top poets share their poems at Tel Aviv’s newest performing arts center. 40 NIS.
– Tuesday – ‘It Moves 2’ Exhibition @ Anna Lulu – new visual communication animations.
– Tuesday – 50 shades of Putin (in Hebrew) – Participate in this interesting discussion about the many faces of Vladimir Putin.
*** SIGN UP TO OUR WEEKLY NEWSLETTER HERE ***