Last updated May 13th 2015
The Tel Aviv International Documentary Film Festival is back, and this year it is even bigger and better!
This year there are twelve categories, over 100 films, and over 200 screenings!
Most of the shows take place at the Cinemateque, but there are also showings in cool places across the city… including the Nemal, The Arab Jewish Community Centre in Jaffa, Bar Kayma, Sarona, Levinsky Garden and Habima.
Here are a few of most popular events for the week:
Four nights of free Music Documentary outdoor screenings – from Sunday to Wednesday (10-13/5) the Nemal will be showing a different film each night, together with a top DJ to keep the party going.
- Sunday night is American film ‘Mr Dynamite: The Rise of James Brown’.
- Monday night is American film ‘Fresh Dressed’, exploring the fashion revolution that grew out of hip-hop. Starring Kanye West, Pharrell Williams, and Nas.
- Tuesday night is UK film ‘808’ exploring music inspired by the Roland TR-808 electric drum machine. Previously filmed at SXSW.
- Wednesday night is American film ‘Cobain: Montage of Heck’ – a raw and visceral journey through Cobain’s life. This film has starred at Sundance, SXSW, and lots more film festivals.
Two nights of free sustainability focused documentaries – Tuesday and Wednesday (12-13/5).
- Tuesday night is Dutch/Swiss film ‘The Chimpanzee Complex’ – exploring helping chimpanzees get over trauma.
- Wednesday night is UK/Canadian film ‘How to Change the World’ – the history of Greenpeace.
Thursday May 14th – Habima is also showing American film ‘Mr Dynamite: The Rise of James Brown’ projected onto the side of Habima. Blanket or pillows are recommended to keep comfortable.
This German film explores West Berlin in the ten years before the collapse of the Berlin Wall – at a time when the city was full of creativity, excitement, and sex! The film has been shown at the Berline Film Festival. Thursday May 7th, Wednesday May 13th, and Saturday May 16th. Docaviv Review here.
this American film looks at the extraordinary life of musician Elliot Smith (Oscar-nominated for Best Original Song for the film ‘Good Will Hunting’), who committed suicide at the age of 34. The film has been shown at film festivals across the world. Thursday May 7th, Saturday May 9th, and Saturday May 16th. Docaviv review here.
Docaviv is closing its outdoor screenings with another showing of American film ‘Fresh Dressed’, exploring the fashion revolution that grew out of hip-hop. Starring Kanye West, Pharrell Williams, and Nas.
Come and celebrate the end of the festival, and mingle with the artists, judges, volunteers, and everyone else involved with the event.
And thanks to all the organisers for organising another world-class event in Tel Aviv!